Thursday 20 September 2012

"Wiki loves monuments"

Now then, about the project that inspired me.

Wiki is asking people from all over the world (34 participant countries as of today) to take a picture of a monument and share it with the community. The competition lasts during the month of September. Check it out at this address:

http://www.wikilovesmonuments.org/

Now, to actually get people going, each country published the list of registered monuments. This made me think..."Hey! Why not just try to hunt them all down?!". Why? Well, because I am not the type to walk around the city without an aim, but I do like walking. I just needed to find the purpose.

List of all protected monuments for Brussels is published in form of PDF files per commune in here:

http://www.monument.irisnet.be/fr/patrimoine/intro.htm

To make my life easier I started putting the addresses into Google Maps, and here it is!
Mind, that some addresses are not precise, so you might need to go up and down the street to find what you're looking for, but hey, it's better than nothing.



Map Channels
Full Screen Map

I found this great site, http://www.mapchannels.com, which lets you edit your maps, add filters and other cool stuff. Definitely helps when you're trying to manage more than 500 placemarks (and it's not all yet!).

Cute little icons for each commune (which are, in fact, their coat of arms) are thanks to great help of my friend Jono - thaaaank you :)

If you want to follow the experience, what I recommend - take the PDFs with you! Print them out, or upload them on your mobile. Use the map to see what's around you, but don't trust it 100%. And sometimes you will need a picture of the monument to actually find it amongst many other ugly houses (yeah, some protected monuments seem to be just ugly houses, but I guess I just don't understand art).

Enjoy! And maybe see you in the field? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment